Fri 27 Mar, 2009
I meet people all the time that love the vinyl lettering that we make. However, some of them express concerns that they either rent, and want something that they can take with them, or that they love the lettering so much that they want something they can share with others. The perfect solution to this is to use some custom vinyl lettering to create a home decor sign.
Here are some simple instructions for creating a beautiful home decor sign:
- Order your vinyl lettering kit. Once you order the kit, you’ll know what size to make the board
- Get your board. You’ll want to measure the vinyl letters, and then add 1″ to each side. This gives room for a border, so the lettering doesn’t crowd the edges of the sign.
- Paint the Board. You can get some nice acrylic paint for about .50 cents at almost any craft store. Choose a color that compliments your decor and will provide a nice background for the lettering color you chose.
- Distress Edges. If you like the rustic look, you can distress the edges by sanding off some of the paint with a sanding block. If you like a clean and contemporary look, you can leave the sign as it is.
- Apply the lettering. Make sure your board is clean and free from dust. Line out the lettering and apply it with the application instructions that accompanied your order.
- Insert Hangers. You can use sawtooth hangers to affix to the back of the board. These are inexpensive and will let you hang the sign.
Once you’ve created your first sign you’ll probably find that it’s addicting. That’s because you managed to create a beautiful home decor sign that would have cost you a small fortune from a boutique – and you did it without spending much.